Volunteer with Tri-County OIC
Your support matters. Your time matters. At OIC, our donors and volunteers make our success stories a reality. If you are ready to help make a difference in the lives of our students, now is the time.
Would you like to make a difference for an adult learner? Do you have skills or knowledge that you are willing to share? Could you spend a few hours a week teaching, helping someone learn, or mentoring? If so, the OIC Volunteer Program can match your skills with the needs of adult learners.
WHAT ARE VOLUNTEERS?
Volunteers are people who give their time, talents, and knowledge to help others.
WHERE ARE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED?
Volunteers are needed at all OIC sites. OIC volunteers work closely with professional educators in learning centers, libraries, housing developments, and community centers.
WHAT DO VOLUNTEERS DO?
- tutor adults in reading, writing, mathematics, and English as a Second Language
- help new readers learn phonics and improve word recognition
- assist in fundraising and public relations
- help students prepare for the high school equivalency tests
- serve as classroom aide
- mentor good employability skills
- research promising adult education practices
- provide clerical support and building maintenance
Other volunteer opportunities are available. Our volunteer coordinator will work with you to match your skills and interests to the OIC program.
IS THERE TRAINING FOR VOLUNTEERS?
Volunteers must participate in training. The volunteer coordinator will provide an overview of the OIC program, its philosophy and goals, an overview of the volunteer opportunities available, specific training on the responsibilities of being a volunteer, and, most important, the theories of adult learning. Volunteer training can usually be completed in two hours or less.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF OIC™'S VOLUNTEER PROGRAM?
- To provide support for teachers, facilitators, and other staff in meeting the needs of our students
- To offer opportunities for volunteers to learn and increase their knowledge and understanding of community-based organizations and adult learners
- To provide adequate training and support for volunteers
- To match students and volunteers in a meaningful way
- To educate our stakeholders about the volunteer opportunities available at OIC
- To recognize the contributions of volunteers
HERE IS WHAT WE NEED:
- Volunteers and in-kind contributions for our summer lunch/reading program (age-appropriate books, arts and crafts, event passes)
- Classroom volunteers (English as a Second Language tutors, math tutors, basic reading tutors)
- Support for our outdoor container garden and clean-up projects (weekend gardeners, seeds and plants, tools, gardening books)
- Monetary donations (project-specific contributions to support reading activities for children and adults)
- Books (new and gently used books for adults and children)
- Project volunteers for various events
Contact US to Help
To begin, please print and complete the Volunteer Interest Survey and return it to volunteer coordinator Annette Reiff by email at email@example.com or mail it to; Tri-County OIC, 500 Maclay St., Harrisburg, PA 17110. If you have any questions, please contact Annette by email or call 717-238-7318.