The path to your high school equivalency credential starts with you and ends with a test

If you didn't finish high school, there is another way to demonstrate you have the same skills and knowledge as a high school graduate — through testing and earning your high school equivalency (HSE) credential.

What is a HSE credential?

If you left high school before graduation, you can demonstrate that you have the same skills and knowledge as a high school graduate by taking a HSE test. Once you pass the test, your state or jurisdiction will issue you a HSE credential.

Why is a HSE credential important?

If you didn't finish high school, you know your opportunities are limited. But with a state-issued HSE credential, you'll have the opportunity to advance your career, join the military, begin a training program or continue your education on the college level.

What is the difference between the GED® test and a HSE credential?

The GED® test is one of three tests used nationally to award a high school equivalency credential. Until recently, it was the only test available. Today there are two other testing options available — the HiSET exam and the GED® test. Pennsylvania uses the HiSET exam and the GED® test to measure high school equivalency skills in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies. Both tests enable you to earn the same HSE credential.

How do I prepare for the HiSET exam?

Most test takers take adult education classes to prepare for the exam. In many states, these programs are at no cost — or very low cost to the students. The HiSET program encourages you to explore adult education programs and also offers a variety of free and low-cost resources to help familiarize you with both the exam questions and the computer-delivered testing experience. The resources include a study companion (a guide with tips and strategies on how to prepare for the HiSET exam), practice tests and sample questions.

What happens after I pass the HiSET exam?

After you've passed the HiSET exam, your state or jurisdiction will issue your high school equivalency credential — and you can be confident that your skills and knowledge are on the same level as a traditional high school graduate.

HiSET® Online Test Registration

Follow the link below if you want to take the HiSET® test. The HiSET® is another test you can take in Pennsylvania that leads to a high school equivalency diploma. Create a test taker account to get information about preparing for the HiSET® examination. Free practices tests and study guides are available. 

HiSET® Online Test Registration

Here's where you can obtain your high school diploma.

Once you pass the GED® or HiSET® exam you must order your diploma from DiplomaSender®. Once you create an account you can order your diploma and transcript. You will be issued one free diploma and one free transcript. If you lose or misplace your paper diploma or transcript and require a replacement, it will cost you $15 for each. If you ask for your transcript and diploma to be sent to you at an email address, you can make multiple copies. Ask your teacher for help in ordering your diploma and transcript.